Bye Bye 4th Amendment.
Michigan police will without out any probable cause or even warrant will now search your CELL PHONE if you run a traffic light, go over a posted speed limit or perhaps even get caught JAY WALKING. This is yet another move by governments to water down our rights as humans. Notice this is Michigan, the bed of Islamic hatred for Americans starts here. Could this be the Michigan State Police way of back-dooring Sharia?
ACLU seeks information on Michigan program that allows cops to download information from smart phones belonging to stopped motorists.
The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.
ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous. Source
A cell phone owners location information has always been stored by cellular carriers, but has only been available in the past through a court order approved by a judge. Making the file visible and unencrypted on iOS devices could make it available to anyone who gains access to the phone. Source nytimes.com
- Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops (mountainrepublic.net)
- REPORT: Michigan Police Download Cell Phone Data During Routine Motorist Stops… (thenewspaper.com)
- Michigan Police Could Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops (apple.slashdot.org)
- “Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops” and related posts (thetruthaboutcars.com)
- Speeding Ticket? Give Us All Your Cell Phone Data (techie-buzz.com)
- ACLU: Michigan cops stealing drivers’ phone data (news.cnet.com)
- ACLU Looking Into Mobile Phone Scanner Being Used By Michigan Police (crunchgear.com)
- SCARY: Cops Who Pull You Over And Download All Your Phone Data (businessinsider.com)
- ACLU Wants Records on Cell Phone Searches [Dispatches from the Culture Wars] (scienceblogs.com)